Tangerine essential oil is regarded as one of the safest essential oils. It is one of the few that can be safely used by pregnant women and can be beneficial for children as young as 2 months of age.
Tangerine is native to Italy, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, China, USA, Algeria, Tunisia, Cyprus, and Greece. The rind is used to make essential oil, and it is extracted by the cold press method. It requires 9 lbs. of tangerine rinds to make 1 bottle of pure essential oil.
Tangerine is unique as an essential oil because it is calming and uplifting. For new moms, we need both of those things, something to soothe the “baby blues”, and keep us awake. Anyone have a fussy baby? Or a little bundle of joy that wants to sleep 22 hours a day, and is impossible to awaken to nurse? I had both, my son now 9, only wanted to breastfeed, or cry, the kid never wanted to sleep, or chill, and my daughter, now 5, only wanted to sleep all day and night, and I worried she would wither away from never wanting to wake up to eat.
Tangerine is best known for the following therapeutic properties: antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, depurative, tonic, digestive, diuretic, sedative, stomachic, and calmative. As such, it is popularly used to treat stomach upset, irritability (no mom ever feels irritated, right?), cellulite, constipation, anxiety, skin issues, lethargy, insomnia, lethargy, and as an immune stimulator.
Some of my cool ways to use tangerine essential oil are:
- In a diffuser. Add 3 drops of tangerine essential oil per 1 ounce of water to your diffuser 20 minutes before breastfeeding. This will help keep mommy and baby awake. If you have ever nodded off while breastfeeding, you feel me on this! Tangerine aids in digestion, and stimulates the appetite, so expect your baby to have a healthy appetite while feeding. Bonus your house will smell amazing!
- Surface cleaner. In a 32 oz bottle, add ½ cup of rubbing alcohol, 1 drop of liquid dish detergent, and 32 drops of tangerine essential oil, fill the rest of the way with water. Shake to mix. Spray and wipe non-porous surfaces.
- As a calming skin rub. Mix 4 drops of tangerine essential oil with 1 ounce of carrier oil (coconut, avocado, hemp, sunflower, safflower, argan, and olive oil are my personal favorites), and rub in a gentle circular motion at the temples, base of the occiput, neck, or wrists to calm anxiety, worry, or irritability. This same blend can be rubbed on the belly during pregnancy to help prevent stretch marks, or to massage babies feet and belly to soothe.
- Flavoring for Food. Many people also use tangerine essential oil in their food for flavoring and to boost their metabolism, and immunity. Check out this recipe for Tangerine Paradise Punch. Or this cool granola bar recipe.
- In the Bath. Tangerine essential oil can be added to the bath for a calming effect and for the yummy aroma. Add up to 8 drops to mommy’s bathwater, or 1 drop for baby’s bathwater. Mix in with the water prior to getting into the tub or placing the baby into the tub.
- As a DIY toner. In an 8 oz bottle, put 4 oz of witch hazel, add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, add 16 drops of tangerine essential oil, and fill the rest of the way with distilled water. Shake. Apply daily after washing your face to tighten pores, and increase glow by encouraging your skin to purge away dead cells.
So brighten up buttercup, and smell amazing while doing so!
Brandi Bovell is a part-time licensed massage therapist, aesthetician, certified natural health coach, marketing coach, and a totally wonderful business owner. She is a FULL-TIME superhero and mom. You can follow her here.