If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, then you know calling me a dog lover would be a huge understatement. What you don’t know is that I have not always loved puppies. Puppies can drive you nuts, ruin your furniture, knock over your kids, destroy your car, saturate your carpet… Need I go on?
On this National Puppy Day, I want to share a few real life tips.
I’m hoping to save your sanity and a shoe or two if you’re lucky.
- Feed the puppy their meals from your hand. This builds a trusting relationship. Plus, a dog is easier to train when they’re hungry as they will pay more attention.
- Routine is key. Whether it is potty training, feeding, or walking, puppies will easily learn the routine and this makes your life a lot easier.
- Try group puppy training. It’s cost effective and the pups can get their craziness out as they socialize. It’s like a puppy support group so you don’t lose your mind. I personally love All Dog Adventures.
- Take them to Home Depot or Lowe’s. Bass Pro Shops allows dogs as well. These outings can lead to an exhausted puppy and will save your furniture by having them with you.
- Put up a baby gate. If you don’t want to use a crate, you can confine your puppy to a smaller area so that they can destroy less. They will have less anxiety if they don’t have access to the whole house. This also saves the kids from being jumped on when you come home.
- Get a slipcover for everything! You will thank me later.
- Give them a bath. Get their nails cut. Visit the vet often for treats–not just shots. They will end up enjoying these dreaded activities if they start young and are heavily rewarded for participating.
That is all I have for now. I hope these tips help and if you have additional tips, please comment below with your puppy advice!
Or just show us an adorable photo of your pup. Happy Puppy Day!